In an essay on film theory, David Bordwell explains the structure of classic Hollywood cinema, describing the familiar conventions that make up traditional filmmaking. Most of us have become well acquainted with these conventions, since a majority of the films we see today follow the same set of rules. In classical Hollywood cinema, a group of individuals struggle to overcome a specific challenge, or attain a specific goal. The film ends decisively, usually with a victory for the protagonists, (sometimes, but more rarely, with a defeat). Either way, a classic film has a “clear achievement or non-achievement of the goals.”
The Italian film Cinema Paradiso presents an interesting take on these conventions. Bordwell tells us that the predominant ending shot of classical Hollywood is the united, romantic, couple. In Cinema Paradiso, the protagonist Toto does not get a Hollywood embrace with his lover. But the film does acknowledge the classical ideal. In the famous ending montage, Toto watches a film reel of spliced together shots of kisses and embraces from old movies (these clips were the edits removed from films at the behest of a censoring priest, clips that Toto had desired to possess as a young child.)
Bordwell describes the goal-oriented hero, on a quest or mission which is fulfilled at the end of the film. It appears that Toto does achieve success - becoming a very successful filmmaker. However the film does not show us anything of Toto striving towards this goal; Toto is very passive, and leaves for a career only after being forced out by Alfredo. We are given nothing to fill in the gap between the adolescent and the successful adult, and see no evidence of the trials and tribulations that should have accompanied a traditional narrative.
Nevertheless, it is the career goal that we see fulfilled - rather than Toto’s quest for romantic love with Elena. It is Toto’s quest for Elena that is actually shown on-screen. But as we learn in the film, Toto had no chance of a Hollywood-style embrace with her, since he has been living in a series of loveless relationships with other women. There is a classical Hollywood moment, but it occurs in the middle of the film. Toto, inspired by a story told by Alfredo, waits for months outside Elena’s window. He finally gives up hope on New Year’s Day, but Elena arrives in the projection booth just in time for a Hollywood embrace, surrounded by posters of similar embraces from classic films.
However, this moment does not recur at the end of the film. When Toto returns to his hometown after Alfredo’s death, Elena is still nowhere to be found. The Cinema Paradiso is abandoned from lack of use. There is no talk of restoration - T.V. and videos have made it obsolete - the building itself is demolished and turned into a parking lot. We see happy endings, but they are happy endings from other films. Toto is emotionally affected, but does it stem from nostalgia for his youth, memories of Alfredo, or regret over Elena?
After watching the film, I did a little reading on Cinema Paradiso. I learned that there is a longer director’s cut which includes another meeting between Toto and Elena as adults. I will have to see for myself, but including this scene seems a bit surprising. It means that at the end Toto is recalling not just a memory of youthful love, but a much more real, recent encounter that failed. To me, it diminishes the impact of the final montage of kisses.
As an aside - something has come up as I have begun to study films academically. I’m a little worried that taking a film class is like seeing how sausages are made. Will understanding the narrative tricks of the trade diminish the pure pleasure of watching a film? My previous movie-watching experiences have been largely free from deep-analysis. I have only a simple, surface understanding of film right now, but it works for me. Will the entertainment value be the same once you have a more critical eye? I’m still enthused about the class -I’m sure in the end it will broaden my appreciation for films - but it is something that I have been thinking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Greetings Michael,
This is Alexis. I'll be the person grading your blogs for Intro to Film Studies this semester. I like your choice to track the non-traditional romantic love thread in this film. Next time it would be great if you could use more visual or sound-based evidence from the film itself to make your argument.
If the love embrace at the end of the film is the classical tool that you are referencing, how specific can we be about the embraces represented in the film. How does that embrace in the middle look, what sonic or visual features make it up, make it matter. What implications does that shift in placement have for the way time works in this film...or film generally?
I look forward to continuing to read your observations this semester!
Best,
Alexis
I didn't know that about the director's cut either, and I am also in agreement with you that it would somehow diminish the effect of the movie. Nostalgia becomes more poignant the further removed from the event, I guess.
On the other hand, having them meet again does seem even more unconventional. The nostalgia no longer holds real possibility. Its much more sad
Kevin
I think that Cinema Paradiso is an interesting take Classic Hollywood cinema. As someone that usually dislikes all movies with sad endings, I felt differently about Cinema Paradiso. Not to say that its ending was sad per-say, but rather the ending of this film was just different I guess. Like how you described the sequence of events with Toto and Elena. Unlike what could have been an epic love story in a classic hollywood movie, this story of love began, grew, and ended, all in the middle of the film, while a bigger plot line was being played out.
I don't think that this presentation of Toto diminishes the impact of the final montage of kisses. I feel like that montage had more to do with Toto's love for film rather than his love for Elena. The memory of his youthful love was seen when he replayed the film of when he first saw her.
http://softlighthardfocus.blogspot.com/2009/01/feature-presentation-as-films.html
Near the end of your blog post you said: Toto is emotionally affected, but does it stem from nostalgia for his youth, memories of Alfredo, or regret over Elena?
That was exactly my question when the movie finished. Although I have no definitive answer for you, I can offer you some speculation. I think that for Toto, and the audience, this final montage is supposed to bring forth and release all of the penned up emotion or sentimentality that has arisen from all three of those aspects that you described. I don’t think that there is a clear “source” of this emotion. Rather, I think that the wide array of emotions that the audience felt throughout the movie due to Toto’s romance with Elena, his nostalgia for his childhood, and his sadness over the death of Alfredo created a sort of sentimental tension or latent pool of emotion that is released in this stunning final montage. I think that is why I found it so satisfying. The story of Toto’s life is very real and lacks the “poetic justice” which many of us desire for him so this montage of love clips makes up for it, in a way, and provides a sort of indirect outlet for the various emotions built up throughout the film.
Besides this, I think you also made a very astute observation that the manner in which the film presents and follows Toto’s life departs from the classical Hollywood narrative to a great extent. As you noted, the movie follows in great detail the failure of his romance with Elena while never providing any detail about his great success as a film maker. Typically, we see the exact opposite in classical Hollywood cinema! Perhaps the overwhelming attention that was given to his failure with Elena adds to the effect of the final montage as well…
Post a Comment